Product Review: Young Poong Yopokki (Hot & Spicy Topokki)

Young Poong Yoppoki (Hot & Spicy Topokki) Review




Tteokbokki is a stir fried rice cake which is a popular Korean street food.

I have always liked tteokbokki since I tasted one in a Korean food stall in Hongdae when my family went on a trip to South Korea. Since then, I’ve been trying different tteokbokki in restaurants but can’t seem to find anything that compares with the taste I had in Korea.

It’s been a while since my sister is asking me to buy tteokbokki in a Korean Mart in BGC and this time, I finally gave in and give it a try.

In this review, I’m trying out Young Poong’s Yoppoki (Hot & Spicy Topokki). It’s priced at Php 134 in the mart. 
*This price is actually lower than other places where you can buy this. Some sells it for more than Php 150.


Where to buy?

You can get this in a Korean mart or in a local grocery where they are selling Korean food items.



What’s included in the packaging:

  • Pack of rice cakes
  • 2 packs of powdered sauce
  • Food plastic tray where you can put the cooked food


How to cook:

It’s pretty easy, you can just follow what’s in the cooking instructions at the back of the packaging.

After pouring the rice cakes and powder in the pan with water. I just stirred it so the powder will be dissolved properly.

Wait until it boils. This can take from 3 to 5 minutes.

Once boiling, instead of putting it in low heat, I actually retained the same medium heat so I can get my desired thick saucy texture without cooking it for so long. 

Continue stirring so that the sauce doesn’t stick to the pan causing it to burn. 

Once I got the desired thick sauce texture, I poured in the grated cheese I prepared beforehand (optional). I just used Eden Cheese for this. 

I always liked my korean ramen with cheese so I tried it in here too. You may also add Korean fishcakes (also known as Eomuk or Odeng) or add boiled quail eggs so it will not be too plain.

Now, you can pour it in a bowl. I don’t recommend you use the provided plastic tray where you’re supposed to pour the food as it can melt since the food is really hot. 


The Verdict

It’s actually really good. Better than expected. It’s spicy but you can really taste the sweet flavor. The rice cakes are also cooked well, just the exact chewy texture I expected.

It’s actually too spicy for me so I suggest you don’t use up all the powder (maybe use only 1 or 1 1/2 pack) if you’re not a fan of spicy food.

Honestly, I liked this better than the ones offered in Korean restaurants here in the Philippines. But if I will compare it to the tteokbokki from authentic Korean restaurants (owned and managed by Koreans), I’d say it’s equal.

At the price of Php 134, this is worth it and you can even share it with one or two more people considering rice cakes can easily make you full.


*This is not a paid post. 

Comments